Sunday 23 October 2011

Dinton Pastures ~23rd October~

A quick trip to Dinton to try and see the Ferruginous Duck was at first a dissapoint. The bird had been seen on Lavell's Lake the day before however today there was a work party mainting the lake and therefore, it was lifeless. Knowing that the bird had occasionally been seen on Sandford Lake, I thought I'd take a trip to the hide over there. It took a while to find and at first we were not 100% as the bird was sleeping but once he had woken up, I knew I was looking at my first Ferruginous Duck. The bird was miles away however after a while he began to drift towards the nearest island to the hide and after an hour wait, the bird was swimming and feeding around 20 metres away from the hide. Other than this fabulous bird the lake had little else of interest apart from a Male Kingfisher, a Herring Gull and several Wigeon.

Ferruginous Duck

Ferruginous Duck

No comments:

Post a Comment